Bass Anglers’ Sportfishing Society

Fighting for Bass and Bass Anglers’ since 1973

A Year in the Making


“Cukoo, cukoo” bleeps my phone, alerting me to a text.

It’s from Matt, “Wanna go fishing tomorrow?”

I check the diary and text back, “It’s a goer!”

“Fekinel!!!” is his near instantanious reply.

For a variety of reasons I have been repeatedly unable to take Matt up on his previous offers of fishing from his Zodiac and this trip would be my first lure fishing experience form such a vessel. A barrage of texts back and forth later and I was packed and ready for a indecently early start. Of course, sleep didn’t come easily that night: my mind was swimming with bass, thoughts of the day ahead and doubts to whether I had packed the right stuff…..

Loaded and ready to go
Loaded and ready to go

As we headed out onto the water, with the exception of some much heavier jig heads, I had with me the same lures and kit that I would typically use from the shore. Once Matt had set up our first drift I watched him fish to see if I could glean the subtleties of fishing from a rib. I was soon bumping my SP along, or near the bottom in a way that I suspected would appeal to the bass, and that seemed reasuringly similar to Matt’s approach; yet it was Matt’s eel that was intercepted by the first, second and third bass to come aboard.

photo 2 (2)
How big a fish would fit in to the mouth of this 6 pound bass

Self-doubt was creeping in to my mind and when a small pollock attached itself to my lure, I started to wonder if my lucky long johns (pictures of which have been rejected by the bassblog censors!) where going to let me down. Thankfully, I didn’t have too long to wait for my underwear to prove their magic was undiminished as a decent bass hit my lure. It’s first run swung the boat around like a compass beside a magnet, and in spite of it surfacing a fair distance from the boat, it was safely landed.

I was happy.

photo 1
Off the mark with my best of the day

We went on to equally share eight bass, the best being a touch over 6lb. Each fish was in fine condition and all seemingly punched above their weight. Needless to say, I loved every minute of it and felt very comfortable on all but the journey back to shore, where my omission to pack a waterproof layer for a day in a boat illustrated beautifully that I am wet behind the ears (and down the back of my waders it later turned out) when fishing form an inflatable.

I hope it isn’t another year before the moons align and I am afloat again!


Blogger: Rob “Arkwright” Pope