The Southern IFCA are currently reviewing their Byelaws (see below). As part of that process they have decided to run a series of public consultations on several Byelaws, INCLUDINGMINIMUM LANDING SIZES. The Byelaw Working Group minutes specifically mention mullet and skates and rays, but the consultation wants comments about all species. The notice from the Southern IFCA (below) shows the dates and times of the meetings. They will be “drop in” meetings so you won’t have to stand up in public or anything like that. If recreational sea anglers want minimum landing sizes to go up, so that fish get a chance to breed and replace themselves in the stocks, before they can legally be taken then please go along to one of these sessions, after all, if someone asks for your opinion, it is rude not to give it! The more people that attend and have their say, the more chance we have of getting some improvement, so, please circulate this news as widely as possible.
STAKEHOLDER CONSULTATION WORKSHOPS
Southern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (IFCA) is tasked with the sustainable management of inshore sea fisheries resources in Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight areas.
Southern IFCA is currently undertaking a review of all byelaws and will be holding a series of drop in workshop sessions to give all stakeholders the opportunity to input into the byelaw review process and also to provide more information on the role of the IFCA.
Stakeholders will have the opportunity to comment on all aspects of management at these sessions, although there will be a particular emphasis on the following byelaws:
Minimum sizes; Cockles; A new clam byelaw; Vessels used in fishing; Berried lobsters; Redeposit of shellfish; Electric current; Temporary closure of shellfish beds; Oysters, clams and mussels; Carriage of oysters; Seagrass protection.
Sessions will be held at the following locations between 1600 and 2000:
- Tuesday 12th June – Institute of Marine Sciences School of Biological Sciences University of Portsmouth, Ferry Road, Eastney, Portsmouth P04 9LY
- Wednesday 13th June – Weymouth Angling Society Commercial Road, Weymouth, Dorset DT4 8NF
- Tuesday 19th June – Lymington Community Centre, New Street, Lymington SO41 9BQ
- Wednesday 20th June – Newport Riverside Centre The Quay, Newport, IOW PO30 2QR
- Wednesday 27th June – Thistle Hotel, The Quay, Poole, Dorset BH15 1HD
- Thursday 28th June – The Salt House, West Bay DT6 4HD