Bass member Paul Jennings (also known as PJ ) went in persuit of wrasse on soft plastics on the South Coast at the weekend. The sea was calm at last but the water remained very coloured
He failed in his quest, but did manage this bycatch!
The picture on his mobile lacks quality: the bass does not. He told me it would be easy to spot him at the BASS AGM in 2 weeks time as he would be the one grinning from ear to ear.
The White Stuff
Episode 10 – Floating the bucktail
In the penultimate episode Kevin and Keith explain how that learned how to defy gravity and make lead-headed lures ‘float’. It was an expensive and stressful learning curve.
* Q. Kevin – How many bucktails have you got left?
* A. I lost my last one half an hour ago
* Now we’ve learned to ‘float’ the bucktail we do the same with the needlefish lures -we’re using them up to an ounce and a half and casting 120 metres.
* With the wind coming at you we can get 70 yards into the wind – you can’t do that with Dou Tide Minnow
* They cast like an inter-continental ballistic missile
* We’ll cast out and hold our rod right up here and as the lure reaches the fast part of the water we’ll lower to rod (to maintain the slack line)
* The colder water gets the more something will want to float